CMUP is a Mathematical research center based at the Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade do Porto, Portugal
Since its foundation, the main objectives of CMUP are to carry out and support mathematical research, as well as to promote the dissemination of Mathematics as a fundamental discipline for the development of society at all levels. CMUP is an entity integrated in the Department of Mathematics of the Faculty of Sciences of the University of Porto.
CMUP has around 70 integrated researchers, mainly from various faculties of the Universidade do Porto but also from the Instituto Politécnico do Porto. This organization means that CMUP has achieved a critical mass and variety in its composition, which allows for carrying out world class research in a number of areas, and also for benefiting from synergies arising from intereactions between its researchers.
CMUP has 8 main research areas with the following principal investigators:
Algebra, Combinatorics and Number Theory - Christian Lomp
Analysis - Semyon Yakubovich
Dynamical Systems - Isabel Labouriau
Geometry and Topology - Peter Gothen
History and Didactics of Mathematics - Rosa Antónia Ferreira
Numerical Analysis, Probability and Statistics - Ana Cristina Freitas
Semigroups, Automata and Languages - Rogério Reis
Signal Processing and Data Analysis - Ana Paula Rocha
- regular seminars in all research areas;
- visits by outside researchers to work on joint research projects with CMUP members and to stimulate scientific development at the CMUP;
- work visits by members to other research institutions and also their participation in relevant scientific meetings;
- the hosting of international conferences/workshops;
- a stimulating scientific environment for PhD Students from both PhD programs in Mathematics and Applied Mathematics and Post-Doc researchers including the ones from FCT program “Ciência”;
- outreach activities such as connections with schools (basic and secondary education) and a summer school of Mathematics.
Recently CMUP is taking its first steps in the corporate and business world by providing consulting services through the Gabinete de Estatística Modelação e Aplicações Computacionais (GEMAC), which is an office created within CMUP's resourses. CMUP has also organized events such as the Workshop on Mathematics and Industry - "European Study Groups with Industry" in order to make an effort to build a connection with corporations and companies.
Manuel Delgado (Director)
Jorge Freitas (Vice-Director)
José Ferreira Alves
José Basto Gonçalves
Denis Talay (Inria Sophia-Antipolis)
Ghani Zeghib (ENS Lyon)
Enrique ZuaZua (Basque Center for Applied Mathematics)
Centro de Matemática da Universidade do Porto
Matemática da FCUP;
Rua do Campo Alegre, 687 ;
Tel: (+351) 220 402 281
Fax: (+351) 220 402 108 / (+351) 220 402 209
||União Europeia Fundos Estruturais
|| Governo da República Portuguesa
|| Programa Operacional "Ciência, Tecnologia, Inovação"
|| Programa Operacional Sociedade da Informação