Arriving by plane
There are several international direct flights to Porto International Airport (airport code OPO). If no convenient flight into Porto is available, international participants may fly to Lisbon International Airport (airport code LIS) and either take a domestic connecting flight or a train to Porto. The train journey from Lisbon to Porto takes about 3 hours.
Transport from the airport to the city
There is a taxi and Metro connection between the airport and the city of Porto.
- By taxi (or uber): The average cost is approximately 25 euros.
- By Metro: There is a good Metro connection from the airport to the city center. Information can be found on the Metro web page (some info about tickets is provided below). The closest Metro station to the conference venue and hotels is Casa da Musica Metro Station.
- From Casa da Musica Metro Station to the Conference Venue / Hotel: Casa da Musica Metro Station is a bus stop center located in front of the main exit of the Metro station (there are two exits). One can access this exit directly from the Metro platform using the elevators. It is approximately a 15-minute walk to the conference venue and the hotels.
Arriving by train
See train schedules and prices here. The train arrives at the Porto Campanha railway station. From this station there is a Metro, a bus or a taxi connection to the conference venue or the hotels.
- By Metro: Campanha Metro station is adjacent to the railway station.
- By bus: The easiest way to reach the conference venue from the Campanha Metro/railway station is by the 207 bus (direction Foz-Mercado). The bus stop is approximately 100m from the exit of the railway station, to the right (info about tickets below). The closest exit is the Gólgota bus stop, located a few meters from FCUP.
- By taxi: Alternatively one may take a taxi. There are taxis right in front of the exit of the railway station. The fare to the hotel/FCUP is 10-15 euros.
Tickets for the metro and buses
Ticketing for public transportation (Metro and buses) is mainly managed through rechargeable Andante travel cards, although tickets may be purchased from bus drivers. The Andante travel cards allow you to top them up and are available for purchase at any Metro station in the city (e.g. upon arrival at the Airport Metro station, or Campanha Metro station for those arriving by train). Credit can be added to an Andante travel card, allowing it to be used for additional journeys. It must be validated each time, even when transferring, by swiping on the yellow machines at the entrance to the Metro stations or inside the buses. Each trip normally allows you to transfer between buses and Metro line and gives you a minimum of 1 hour travel time.
Here are some indicative prices, subject to change:
- From the Airport to Casa da Musica Metro station, the Andante needs to be charged with a Z4 trip, which costs 2.00 euros (single ticket).
- From Campanha Metro/railway station to the conference venue by the 207 bus Andante needs to be charged with a Z2 trip, which costs 1.20 euros (single ticket). A ticket can also be bought on the bus from the driver for 2.00 euros.
**The Andante card itself costs 0.60 euros, charged in addition to the first trip.